Welcome to the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum. Erected in 1872, this heritage designated building served the community of Carleton Place as the Town Hall and lock up until 1879, and as Victoria School (as seen below) for 90 years until 1969.
The museum is run by the Carleton Place and Beckwith Historical Society with assistance from the Town of Carleton Place and the Township of Beckwith. Opening as the Victoria School Museum in 1985, the name was changed in 2011 to reflect the scope of its collection and its audience.
Our main floor exhibit gallery features permanent exhibits telling the story of settlement in the area and chronicalling the town's history. Twice yearly we present temporary, themed displays, and the artifact cases in the foyer change more often to reflect current interests.
Come and visit our displays and chat with our knowledgeable staff and volunteers. Attend one of our events! Join a guided walking tour in the summer months! History is alive and well at the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum!
Victoria School, 267 Edmund Street, Carleton Place, c. 1920.
The Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum, 267 Edmund Street, Carleton Place, 2012.